Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Pursuit in Reclamation (Overview)

To begin
I have considered sharing this part of my life carefully. My feelings regarding the era we live in -where information is king, and privacy is lost- causes me more than a little discomfort. However, one reason we all choose to lead digital lives, however congruent or disingenuine they may be, is that humans seek to be understood. I am no exception, and I hope that the people I care about may understand my rather hard-to-swallow disposition a little better if they give this blog a read. Perhaps as well, strangers who may stumble upon this will share similar sentiments, and either find solace in the knowledge of others who feel the same, or be able to share in my pursuits. I am never opposed to connecting with people of a similar mind.

Background
I was raised in a rural part of Maine. My personality being what it is, in youth I resented the quiet and the boredom. I ran to Boston, seeking more populated places until a decade later I landed in Seoul, South Korea, one of the most heavily populated places on earth. Then, I began to grow very weary of people, of cement, of excess, of the lack of connection our society offers.

My pursuit
So, inspired by some of my greatest interests; Transcendentalism, sustainable living, the small house movement, the Zuni, Zen, and more,  I am in pursuit of reclamation. What I seek to reclaim is essentially myself;
*The direction of my life
*A space in my native land (the woods of Maine)
*My wellness (bodily, emotional, spiritual, intellectual)
*Materials -which are so wasted by our society

I have made a serious decision to stick to the personal, lifestyle, and social elements of the world, and avoid the political -which I simply feel is more appropriately discussed face to face. Here is the summary of my dilemma.
I feel that human society is deeply flawed, I find no peace in the current manner of "acceptable" living. I have a great distrust of humans in large groups, and I believe there is a better way (at least for myself) to live.
My goal; to begin the process of creating a better way for myself to live in this world, to set out on that path, learn skills to give me freedom, and connect with others who share my misgivings, and are traveling in a similar direction.

I have a set a few tasks for myself to begin. There are as follows;
* Re-connect with the people I love.
* Build a small cabin on family land in the woods of Maine to....
[Spend a couple of months there healing body, mind and soul.
Enjoy the process of creating.
Re-connect with the natural world.]
* Spend time at D-acres Organic Permaculture Farm & Educational Farmstead to...
[Learn anything and everything I can about sustainable agriculture, forestry, green building, clean energy, community, and friendship]
* Read and write like a fiend.
* Move to an urban environment bringing these skills, feelings and a healthy state of mind in order to determine if I can live there with MUCH less impact on the planet, without sacrificing my happiness, and subtly spread these ideas.

until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment